Install NFN dial up manually on Vista
CONFIGURING A DIAL-UP CONNECTION IN WINDOWS VISTA
- Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Connect to Network.
- Click on Set up a connection or network.
- Select Set up a dialup connection and click Next.
- Enter the phone number for the Naples Free-Net 417-1474
Use 657-3201 if dialing from Immokalee.
- Enter your Naples Free-Net User Name as the username in lower case and the password given at registration.
- Give the Dial-up Connection a more specific name such as Naples Free-Net.
- Click on Connect.
Option 1 — If talking with the NFN HelpDesk on the same phone line, on the next frame, as it is trying to dial, click on the Skip button that will be showing. This will stop the automatic start of the dialing process on the telephone line that would otherwise take place. The next screen will show “The Connection to the Internet is Ready to Use”
The following screen will warn “Internet Connectivity Test was Unsuccessful” because the test had been skipped. Click the third option “Set up the Connection Anyway”. You should then finally see a window showing “Successfully set Network Settings”. Click “Close”
Option 2 — If NOT talking with the NFN HelpDesk on the same phone line, allow the connection to be tested, and the next screen will say “You are connected to the Internet”. Click on “Close”. On the next screen “Set a location”, click on “Home”. Click “Continue” on the “Windows User Account Control” pop up.
The next time you want to connect you then go to Start -> Settings -> Network Connections and launch the NFN dial-up connection. A shortcut to this location can be added to the desktop.
SETTING UP AN EMAIL ACCOUNT IN VISTA
- Click on the Windows MAIL icon. A Setup Wizard appears the first time Mail is opened. Follow the on-screen directions. If you need to change or add an email account, click on Tools in the bar at the top of the page
- When Tools opens, scroll down and click on Accounts.
- On the Internet Accounts page, click on the Add button in the right column of the screen.
- The Select Account Type screen will ask you what type of account you want to add. Select the E-mail Account icon. Then click Next.
- On the Your Name screen type the name (John and Jane Doe) you want to appear in your emails. Click Next.
- On the Internet E-mail Address screen type in your NFN e-mail address, such as email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Click Next.
- On the Set Up Email Servers screen, make sure POP3 is selected in the server type box. In the incoming mail server box type mail.naples.net. In the outgoing mail server box type mail.naples.net. Make sure there is NO checkmark in the Outgoing server requires authentication box. Click Next.
- On the Internet Mail logon screen, type your Username (nfn12345 or johnandjane) and in the Password box type your chosen password (********). Put a checkmark in the Remember Password box if you don’t want to type it in each time you use mail. Click Next. On the Congratulations screen click Finish.
ADDING A DESKTOP ICON FOR NFN IN VISTA
- Click on the Windows Logo (START) in the lower left corner of the Desktop.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Click on Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on Manage Network Connections from the list on the left side of the screen.
- Single-RIGHT click on the Naples Free-Net icon.
- Select Create Shortcut.
- Click OK.